Sunday, February 9, 2014

(THM-S SNACK) Very Chocolate Muffins w/Chocolate-Coconut Frosting

VERY CHOCOLATE MUFFINS with CHOCOLATE-COCONUT FROSTING
This one has become one of my favorite "go-to" snacks. I enjoy two of these muffins for breakfast or a snack with coffee. Quite filling and fast! I make up a big batch of these over the weekend, in no time FLAT, for a smoother week, filled with easy "Grab N Go" foods!
Very Chocolate Muffins w/Coconut Frosting
Recipe-
Ingredients: 1 Cup Almond Flour
1/2 Cup Coconut Flour
1 TBSP Cinnamon
1/2 Cup Flax Meal
1-2 Scoop Protein Powder ( I use Swanson, as it is THM approved, and the reason that I say 1-2, is because it really doesn't change the consistency, but using more, will add to the nutritional value, as well as add a few more calories per muffin)
1/2 Cup Cocoa Powder
2 tsp. Baking Powder
Sweetener ( No sugar! I use a mix of Stevia Powder and Erythritol, but you could simply use your own Truvia to desired sweetness. I have realized that I use less and less sweetener, as I've moved farther away from refined sugar, so I used about 4 shakes of Stevia and 3 TBSP Erythritol in this recipe for muffins)
1.5 tsp. Xanthan (or Guar) Gum
1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/4 Cup  Coconut Oil ( gently melted-I use the microwave for this-20 seconds)
2 Cups Unsweetened Almond Milk
1 Cup Egg White (from carton)
1/2 Cup Water (For a lighter muffin, you could add a little more water. These are pretty dense.)

MIX-Dry ingredients together. Add the wet ingredients. Mix well. Pour about 1/4 cup of the batter into prepared/sprayed muffin tins. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, or until firm/done. I stick a knife in the center to see that it is done, when it is dry as I pull it out. Now, let these cool, before frosting them.

FROSTING-Recipe
Ingredients:
1/2 Cup Coconut Oil (The less expensive option would be the Unrefined, and this would also give you a more flavorful frosting! Be sure to melt this in the microwave for about 20 seconds)
1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
Pinch Sea Salt
1 Cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
Sweetener to desired taste (I use 3-4 shakes Stevia Powder and 1/4 cup Erythritol. You could use about 1/4 cup Truvia)
Note-You could back off by "half" of the Coconut and, instead, use 4 oz. of Cream Cheese. I've done it and it's great!
Mix it all together well. It's going to be very thick. Add just about 1/4 Cup of Hot Water and continue to mix it well, so it is ready to spread.
Note-This "Frosting" is very much like the THM "Skinny Chocolate"! Very good for you!!

This entire mix YIELDS about 28-32 muffins. Store in the refrigerator. 



8 comments:

  1. These sound delicious! They would be an E, unless I add the cream cheese to the frosting, correct?? I am new at this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are these supposed to be soft and moist in the center?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are very moist. They are in "S" territory, due to the fat of the coconut oil, almond flour and whole egg. Thank you for dropping in to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. I'm not seeing where a whole egg is being used....I may be blind. I just don't want to do these wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not seeing where a whole egg is being used....I may be blind. I just don't want to do these wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Question on the sweetener, 4 shakes of Stevia and 3 TBSP Erythritol would be how much Truvia? I see where it gives the Truvia amount for the frosting, how much for the batter? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete